The Bobcats season has come to an end in the second round after a hard-fought 2-0 loss to the Fort McMurray Oil Barons in Game 7.The team will become the 12th team eliminated from the 2013-14 AJHL season; a sharp turnaround after being the 1st team eliminated last season.
We would like to give kudos to all of the players and coaches for a tremendous season. A special shout-out goes out to our graduating 20 year olds: Grant Baker, Braden Crone, Tanner Dunkle, and Austin McDonald. It’s been a pleasure watching each and every one of you. A huge thank you goes out to all of the fans, volunteers, staff, and sponsors for all the support this season. What a season!
Head Coach and General Manager Garry VanHereweghe on the year:
“The 2013-14 season has been a great ride.The Bobcats players have been totally committed to their fans and the City of Lloydminster and have created a very professional working relationship both on and off the ice. The Bobcats as an entire organization have created the type of energy and atmosphere that the city’s fans, sponsors, and billets so dearly deserve. The players and coaching staff thank all of those that have supported us throughout the entire 2013-14 season, and are excited to continue moving forward in the 2014-15 season.”
2013-14 Season Highlights:
– Pushing the Fort McMurray Oil Barons to Game 7, who held a #1 CJHL national ranking numerous times through the season. Selling out a Courtesy Air fan plane to come watch.
– Winning Game 5 of round one at home 4-2 after a thrilling 5-4 OT victory in Game 4.
– Playing in front of a national audience and sold-out arena for Scotiabank Hockey Day In Canada with Ron Maclean & Don Cherry doing Coach’s Corner from the Civic Centre. Receiving Twitter appraise from Don Cherry, Elliot Friedman, and the NHL for the special edition suite jerseys. A Bobcats alumni game and fundraiser was also held that weekend.
– Hosting Brian Burke & Trevor Linden as part of the 2013 Evening of Champions.
– Captain Grant Baker being named to the AJHL North Division All-League Team.
– 3 league award nominations. Coach Garry VanHereweghe for Coach of the Year, Austin McDonald for Most Dedicated Player, Grant Baker for Top Defenceman.
– Forward Braden Crone named as the AJHL Player of the Week for the week of January 6th to 12th.
– Team Courtesy Air trip to the University of North Dakota to watch two Fighting Sioux Div. I hockey games.
– Many great nights at the rink, including Duck Dynasty Night, Haunted Dressing Room, Teddy Bear Toss, Fill The Bus, and Pink in the Rink.
– Christmas Skate With The Team and Timbits Family Day Skate. Numerous other school visits, fan lunches, and minor hockey appearances by a great group of guys. Starting the players fund and sponsoring Firomsa from Ethiopia through World Vision.
Year-End Banquet & Season Tickets
The Bobcats Year-End Players Banquet is set for Friday, March 28 from 7 PM to 9 PM in the auditorium of the Centennial Civic Centre. Please call our main office at 780.871.0900 to RSVP.
Stay tuned for a big marketing announcement that will help fans enjoy even more coverage of our team next year! Don’t forget that season tickets for 2014-15 are already on sale and can be purchased HERE: http://www.lloydminsterbobcats.ca/tickets/season-tickets.html
See you next season, Lloydminster. GO CATS GO!!!